For Legal Permanent Residents

Similar to a US Citizen, as a Legal Permanent Resident, or green cardholder, you are eligible for FAFSA.

Always make sure that your green card or permanent resident card is renewed in time to avoid any issues. If your permanent residence status has in fact expired and you can no longer renew it, then you are not eligible for federal aid. Always make sure that your documentation is up to date!

How to pay for school:

  1. FAFSA: Free Application for Federal Student Aid
  2. Private Scholarships
  3. Loans (Federal and Private)


Becoming a US Citizen

Did you know that after 5 years of being a permanent resident (or 3 years if you are married to a citizen) you can apply for U.S. citizenship? Before beginning any process please consult with an attorney to ensure that you qualify and obtain accurate legal advice pertaining to your case. For trusted legal referrals in Wisconsin please contact Click here for more details on citizenship through naturalization.

Need Additional Help?

Schedule an appointment with a student advisor here